Old 19-05-2003, 02:09 AM
David G. Bell

Default UK farm profitability to jun 2002

On Wednesday, in article

"Dave Roberts" wrote:

In article nWSS9.10766$4k6.955243@wards, Jill news@REMOVETHISkintalin
e.plus.com writes
We have not had a holiday for 9 years

Sorry but I have no sympathy for this whinging whatsoever. If you don't
like your lifestyle then change it !

I have been a self employed freelance for about 16 years, before that I
was a staff photographer on a daily paper.

When I was a staffer I worked most weekends and several nights each week
often not getting home until the small hours. It was a tough schedule
but at least I had holidays and time off during the week.

But as a freelance I had none of those benefits yet if anything the
schedule was more punishing. I had one holiday in those 16 years so your
life seems very luxurious in comparison.

When I started to get fed up with things I changed what I was doing,
simple as that.

Nobody is holding a gun at your head to make you do what you do and if
you don't like it then do something else. Pathetic whining will get you
nowhere.

I've an idea of how much money a photographer can have tied up in
hardware.

It's a couple of orders of magnitude less than the equivalent for
farming, and quality camera gear seems to hold its value rather better
than farm machinery.

For that reason, I suspect it was easier for you to change direction.
Less of your wealth was tied up in a specific business.

"Let me get this straight. You're the KGB's core AI, but you're afraid
of a copyright infringement lawsuit over your translator semiotics?"
From "Lobsters" by Charles Stross.