Old 19-05-2003, 02:09 AM
Torsten Brinch

Default UK farm profitability to jun 2002

On Wed, 08 Jan 2003 16:18:14 +0000 (GMT),
("David G. Bell") wrote:

..Torsten has been rather vague about
the relation between average cash income and the other measures of farm
business size. I suspect that the known differences between large and
small farms, where the large farms spend less per acre for the same
income, don't just affect "Net Farm Income".

Can you be more clear, please.

Elsethread, Jim-and-Brenda also mention paid holidays. How does one
calculate an allowance for that? It's not just the difference between
GBP 300 per week for 50 weeks and GBP 288 for 52 weeks, there is an
opportunity cost for not having those two weeks. And then there are the
longer working hours per week, and the need to check livestock daily.

The short answer is, you don't calculate an allowance for that. We are
talking about real money, cash, what you actually make to meet your
living expenses and make investments.

The actual figures get fuzzy, because a farmer might find the time to do
some DIY, but if Torsten wants a price for everything, he should set a
price on what the farmer has to forgo. How much does a painter and
decorator cost per hour?

What a farmer does DIY is irrelevant, if it has no regards to the Cash
Income he is producing -- and if it has, e.g. by cutting costs of
bills there is no reason to look into it further, it has already been
accounted for.