Old 19-05-2003, 02:09 AM
Jim Webster

Default UK farm profitability to jun 2002

Dave Roberts wrote in message
In article , Jim Webster
writes
I have an office job, we worked out Brenda and I spend 200hrs a year

on
just dealing with livestock movement etc.

Which is not even a couple of hours a week each.

but that is only one particular part of the paperwork, and isn't
actually business paperwork (by which I mean paperwork that you do
because you need to monitor your business (just as you might do a cash
flow or forward budget) but purely to provide data for government. I
suspect few employees spend two hours a week unpaid providing government
data, but here again the self employed and small businessmen will
doubtless be very familiar with the situation.

not usual for an employee. Remember torsten is comparing farmers with
employees. Certainly in ship building which is the common employer in
this town, if you are on call, you are amply rewarded.

Not usual but not uncommon.

things may be different in "white collar" industries, but in traditional
blue collar industries like ship building being on call pays well.

but remember you are just backing up my point with torsten. He is
comparing farmers with employees. Self employed do not compare with
employees. I've snipped the other self employed comparisons, I agree
with them, but it is torsten who doesn't appear to understand it.

I feel you haven't really made that point choosing the examples you

did.

remember I am used to traditional heavy industry which still exists
round here.

--
Jim Webster

"The pasture of stupidity is unwholesome to mankind"

'Abd-ar-Rahman b. Muhammad b. Khaldun al-Hadrami'

Cheers
Dave