Old 19-05-2003, 02:09 AM
David G. Bell

Default UK farm profitability to jun 2002

On Wednesday, in article

"Dave Roberts" wrote:

In article , David G. Bell
writes
I've an idea of how much money a photographer can have tied up in
hardware.

Can vary enormously, the difference between David Bailey or Lord
Lichfield and myself would be quite large.

So is the difference between me and Ollie Walston

It's a couple of orders of magnitude less than the equivalent for
farming,

Again that could vary, Bailey probably has far more tied up in his
business than you. But if you want to use myself as an example then yes,
you are correct.

and quality camera gear seems to hold its value rather better
than farm machinery.

Not true, second-hand photographic equipment is in abundance. Prices are
very cheap. Now digital photography is taking over older film
cameras/darkroom/processing equipment is not sought after and you can
pick up some good deals.

I should have picked up on that, but I haven't though much about camera
priices for two or three years (examples following snipped).

Digital equipment will hold its value relatively well in the short term
but rapid developments in technology make it quickly outdated and
virtually worthless in the same way as computers and printers.

Fair point.

For that reason, I suspect it was easier for you to change direction.
Less of your wealth was tied up in a specific business.

Yes, I take your point now you have got to it

It is not impossible to get out of agriculture if you are unhappy with
it though is it?

Hindsight helps, of course, and getting out a couple of years ago would
be better than getting out now, but just imagine starting the process a
couple of months before FMD...

"Let me get this straight. You're the KGB's core AI, but you're afraid
of a copyright infringement lawsuit over your translator semiotics?"
From "Lobsters" by Charles Stross.