Old 19-05-2003, 02:09 AM
Jim Webster

Default UK farm profitability to jun 2002

Dave Roberts wrote in message
In article , Jim Webster
writes
Nevertheless the ball is in your court. If you don't like your
hours/pay/conditions then change it, whinging not achieve anything.

I take your point that it may take some time and effort but it is
achievable if you want to do it.

sure and we are doing it

If by 'we' you mean others here I have my doubts. I realise you have
developed a second string to your bow but I see little sign of it
elsewhere.

no, by we I was meaning Brenda and I, not quite the royal we, more my
partners and I.

What you have to remember is that most farmers are in their late 50s
anyway, their children are the second string to the bow. I know examples
where the farm tenancy, with the landlords approval, actually provides
storage space for the sons machinery for his contracting business. (I
don't know how this if shown in the rent)

interesting, each change produces less food but takes more money out

of
the government, or at least costs the government more.

But then we are merely reacting rationally to their policies.

Don't you mean EU money and policies ?

It was a point of yours I took on board previously.

sorry, in agriculture, Government and EU are pretty synonymous so tend
to be used interchangeably.

--
Jim Webster

"The pasture of stupidity is unwholesome to mankind"

'Abd-ar-Rahman b. Muhammad b. Khaldun al-Hadrami'