Old 19-05-2003, 02:10 AM
Jim Webster

Default UK farm profitability to jun 2002

"David G. Bell" wrote in message
.. .
On Wednesday, in article
"Jim Webster" wrote:

I think the FMD compensation will have had a big effect. It turned

some
farmers from being cash-poor to being cash-rich, and that gave them a
chance to change. If they stayed in farming they could avoid some of
the usual complications of changing direction (as you were

experiencing)
and the cash went to other farmers.

Other EU countries set up schemes to help farmers retire, but the
British government did not. I wonder if FMD had some of the same
effect.

it as had a big effect in that regard and it remains to be seen what the
long term effects are. I am genuinely at a loss to predict what is
happening.

--
Jim Webster

"The pasture of stupidity is unwholesome to mankind"

'Abd-ar-Rahman b. Muhammad b. Khaldun al-Hadrami'

"Let me get this straight. You're the KGB's core AI, but you're afraid
of a copyright infringement lawsuit over your translator semiotics?"
From "Lobsters" by Charles Stross.