Old 19-05-2003, 02:10 AM
Jill

Default UK farm profitability to jun 2002

"Dave Roberts" wrote in message
In article v6WS9.10888$4k6.957045@wards, Jill news@REMOVETHISkintalin
e.plus.com writes
This is not whinging but a statement of fact

snip sounded very much like whinging to me.

that is your perogative
but your snipping took it out of context - as here again
snip reinstated
This is not whinging but a statement of fact
and in answer to the previous post
you decided to snip
Certainly if you are unable to take breaks away that is a significant
drop.
Breaks away clear the mind and allow a detached view of work activities.
Not having them is likely to be bad for the individual and bad for the
business.
I also spoke of others in our area who are self employed but not in farming
It was from a small business point of view I was speaking
Probably many of the farmers locally do get to have more chance of a break
as there are other "ordinary" farmers about and their sons etc to cover for
them
Many small - very small businesses are not so fortunate

Shame you cannot read as well as take photographs

Please, leave the cheap shots alone, it says more about you than it does
me.

I spoke as I saw
and having reinstated your snipping
probably as others would see too

It is very true that we could do something else
all farmers could and be easily employable
being so multiskilled

There are plenty of jobs out there, I'd be surprised if anyone would
struggle that much.

very very few around here
Tescos; cleaning for hotels
and before you say move
someone has to live in the Highalnds and clean and sweep
for all the tourists that want to stay here
and by the same token they also have to provice things for tourists to do
because although some wish to only walk
the vast majority want something to do while they are up here
[ what they want to pay for it is another matter as it what it costs us to
provide it]

but then as many of the small farmers are those that look after their
environment
within the confines of available monies
what would all the "whingers" who want their pretty countryside do if we

all
left!!

Be spared from more whinging ?

thats a clever comment

The other reason we are still here is that we are trying to acheive
something lasting
both with the property itself so it goes into the next 500 years in

better
condition than when we took over
and with the poultry and waterfowl breeding

Whinging won't help you achieve that, get on with it if that's what you
want to do and be pleased and thankful that you are doing what you want
with your life.

as I said "whinging" is your word
all I was doing was partaking in a discussion about the benefits of taking a
break for small business people

Building anything to last 500 years is a tall order, I wish you luck
with that.

thank you - we fully intend to try

The most lucrative thing I cold do right now with our very high web

presence
would be to become a warehouse and sell other peoples products
that and search engine optimization for others

both of which would put me in the looney bin within 6 months

Emotive non-sense. You have the choice to do what you want with your
business and your life.

I have a choice - but I also know what it would do to me
not emotive
simple fact
Its one of the wonderful things about the human race
we are all different
you could not live my life
and I could not live the life of a warehouse owner without it doing my head
in

- and being able to take a break *would* be good for our health and our
business

Not sure how it would help your business. If the break would help your
negative outlook then by all means go for it.

I don;t have a negative outlook
but getting away from something you live 24 /7
does help you get a fresh perspective and gives you space to resolve
problems

Its is so intersting
your words show how little you understand
which is fine
but as you don't - it may be better not to comment until you have

From what you have said you are living in a nice rural area, you are
doing what you want for a living, you have an incredibly ambitious
target of building something to last 500 years there is the opportunity
to make your business lucrative

yes
but you won't take it because you think
it will bring on mental illness and you could do with a break.

where the hell do you get that from!!!!!!!!!!!!
if I did the things that could make lots of money we would have no time to
do the things that would be much more meaningful and satisfying
It would be nice to have built up the business to the stage of having
someone reliable that I was happy to leave the business with - as many
others in this area would
but until then we will plug on -
a break would be nice but not to the deteriment of what we are tryong to
achiece

I can't help but wonder if you are entirely suited to what you are
doing?

well isn't it a great thing you know not of what you speak
Yup I could do a lot of other things
as is evident from the posts on this newsgroup
so could many posters here from the agricultural community

It is interesting that the "farmers" both large and small here
can discourse on so many topics beyond their own field
unfortunately I am often doing other things while lurking here and rarely
get to get involved

but you it seems have a very limited scope of intellitect

maybe you should try farming for a while

--
Jill Bowis

http://www.poultryscotland.co.uk http://www.henhouses.co.uk
http://www.domesticducks.co.uk http://www.poultry-books.co.uk