Old 19-05-2003, 02:10 AM
Jim Webster

Default UK farm profitability to jun 2002

Dave Roberts wrote in message
In article , Jim Webster
writes
The costs forced on the business by
poor phone connection, poor roads etc are significant.

Just how bad is your phone connection !

well some days we have to put the phone down because the house down the
lane are on the line and we can hear their conversation. Basically if
things get more than a certain level of wet the short length of buried
cable starts playing up and BT are not going to replace that length of
cable.
I have had to work at internet speeds of 2400.

or come to that roads.

I'm not trying to be awkward here, just wondering how these represent
'significant' business costs.

Well I cannot accept 20 tonne artics but have to take 15 tonners.
Therefore this years maize gluten cost me £5 a ton more. That is £225
just on one particular thing.
Same when we were shipping cattle in or out. We couldn't use a big
wagon, had to hire smaller ones, make two trips.
Just on wagon access I suspect it could cost us about £1000 a year.

I have a normal phone connection that is pretty good on the whole.
Haven't lost use of it in six years anyway.

In my business broadband would be very useful for sending digital
pictures to clients, it would also improve the service I could give
them. Lack of it is a nuisance but it would cost more to have it. Not
sure that it would be cheaper than using the post so can't say lack of
it causes me a significant business cost.

The government is insisting on wanting us to submit stuff on line. I
tried to download some data from the BCMS one night, and what should
have taken perhaps a quarter an hour took over 45 minutes.

Roads around here are pretty bad. Single track roads in and out of the
village which aren't too bad though keeping your car clean is
impossible. As soon as you get on to the dual track roads you have to
run the gauntlet of folk driving in the middle of the road because the
edges are in a dreadful state, all potholes.

Again it doesn't cause me a significant business expense.

My £1000 didn't include extra wear on vehicles etc.
--
Jim Webster

"The pasture of stupidity is unwholesome to mankind"

'Abd-ar-Rahman b. Muhammad b. Khaldun al-Hadrami'

Cheers
Dave

--
Cheers