Old 19-05-2003, 02:20 AM
Mary Fisher

Default Is this the right NG?

"Oz" wrote in message
Mary Fisher writes

I'd like to know more about flint sickles.

It was a travellers journal I once read that stuck in my memory.
Apparently the locals preferred their flint sickles because:

1) They were much cheaper than steel ones.
2) They were lighter and easier to use.
3) They only needed 'sharpening' once every few days.
4) They cut better.

The date was about 1902.

If all the above is right why aren't they still used?

And how did they get a piece of flint big enough?

Or were they very small sickles?

The only result of your reply is to make me even more curious!

Thanks,

Mary

--
Oz
Note: soon (maybe already) only posts via despammed.com will be accepted.