Old 28-01-2003, 12:42 PM
Cereoid+10

Default Perennial questions

Life is nothing but perennial questions.

Your plants kiijed all by themselves?

Mine usually need a little vrxmling and qzkfing before they do that!!

Your plants should look a bit ragged in the middle of their winter dormancy,
don't you think so?

Could the whitish substance be mealy bugs?

Penstemon is a huge genus and extremely variable, you need to be more
specific.

Jayebea wrote in message
hlink.net...
I am in Los Angeles, Sunset zones 23/24. Last September I planted Salvia
leucantha, Salvia greggi, and Penstemon (in different areas of my yard).

The
soil had previously been hard as rock (clay) but I loosened and amended it
with gypsum, perlite, compost, etc.

Within a few weeks of planting all plants kiijed good pretty good and were
taking on height and flowering. Even during our winter (which is not

nearly
as cold as other places) the plants did okay.

Now, the leucantha is looking somewhat raggedy. Yes, new growth of leaves
and some height, but also a whitish substance on some lower leaves, and
minimum flowering. The greggi seems okay. The Penstemon is green and

with
leaves but no flowers.

Can someone tell me whether the leucantha should look like this at this

time
of year? Also when to expect flowering of the Penstemon.

Thanks -- Judy