Old 28-01-2003, 03:35 PM
mmarteen

Default Tomato Recommendations for 2003 :)

I am trying Giant Belgium Pink 88 days, Health Kick, 75 days, San Remo 75
days, Winter Red 70 days, and Sugar Snack 65 days. (Zone 4). All are
Burpees except for San Remo which I am getting from Shepherd's
Seeds/Whiteflower Farm.

mm

"Bill R" wrote in message
Fleemo wrote:
wrote in message

On Sun, 26 Jan 2003 00:51:20 -0600, "B & J"
wrote:

"Fleemo" wrote in message
e.com...

I just preused years of tomato recommendations here in rec.gardens,
and thought I'd go ahead and re-ask the perennial question "What's
your favorite tomato?" Favorites from years past seem to include
Pineapple, Pink Girl, Lemon Boy, Big Girl, and Park's Whopper. What's
your current favorite? And please mention where you got your seed.

By the way, I'm in Zone 9. Do specific varieties do better in some
zones than others? If so, what are good selections for Zone 9?

I don't know about Zone 9, but in Zone 6 my hands down winner for a

great
cherry tomato is Jolly, the 2001 AAS winner. I tried it this past

summer,
and it did a wonderful job of producing large quantities of a great

tasting
cherry tomato. It was heat tolerant, crack resistant, and had a great

tomato
taste.

John

As a slight variation on the original topic, I was looking through the
heirloom tomatoes on seedsavers,com, and was amazed at the huge
variety. Is there a good resource that will tell me about the
different kinds, or do I just close my eyes and blindly choose some
and see if I like them?

Rebecca

Rebecca, Seed Saver's Exchange was where I started my tomato oddesey
this season, and I too was bewildered by the multitudes of choices.

I saw an interview with an expert heirloom tomato grower who listed
his favorites, which include Pinky Brandywine, Cherokee Purple, Aunt
Jenny's Purple, German Red Stawberry, the 1884 Tomato, Red Mortgage
Lifter VFN, and Eva's Purple Ball. Unfortunately, the only one of
these listed on the Seed Savers Exchange website is Cherokee Purple,
which is why I thought to ask the kind folks here in rec.gardens to
offer up their favorite tomato varieties.

-Fleemo

A good source for just about any type of tomatoes seeds is
Totally Tomatoes,
http://www.totallytomato.com

They carry a lot of the heirloom tomato seeds that aren't readily
available anywhere else.

A few tomatoes that I am going to try this year are Early Goliath
(58 days) 8 oz. fruits, and for salads Jelly Bean Hybrid Cherry
Tomatoes (72 days), Orange Strawberry (80 days), and Orange
Banana (85 days).
--
Bill R.

Remove No-Junk-Mail- in e-mail address to reply by e-mail