Old 28-01-2003, 04:14 PM
Dwight Sipler

Default Tomato Recommendations for 2003 :)

New England, zone 5.5:

I have had good luck for the past few years with Sun Gold, an orange
cherry tomato. It has high sugar and good flavor. It is prone to
cracking. I saw a description of Sun Sugar which said that it's
indistinguishable from Sun Gold except that it is less susceptible to
cracking, so I'm trying both this year so I can compare them.

For main season tomatoes I grow (among others) Mountain Fresh and
Estiva, both good looking tomatoes with good flavor. Best flavor goes to
Brandywine and Pruden's Purple (similar types), but they also win the
prize for the ugliest fruit. Are you going to eat them or look at them?

Correction: I read somewhere that a Tomato is not a fruit, but a
vegetable, by act of Congress. (something to do with tariffs on
imports).