Old 29-01-2003, 06:48 AM
gregpresley

Default First Spring blooms

for the most part, bulbs are the first plants to bloom in the spring.
Unfortunately, you have to plant them in the fall, or buy (very expensively)
plants in pots that have been forced over the winter. The first things to
bloom are usually the crocus and the snowdrops. A little yellow flower
(maybe eryanthis) is often next. Then you have siberian squill and iris
reticulata. Then species varieties of tulips. Finally, you have the main
season bloom of the big tulips, daffodils, narcissus, chionodoxa, hyacinths
and grape hyacinths. Around the time these peter out, you will be getting
the spring blooming perennials and shrubs. In some years, it all overlaps.
It's a glorious time of year......!
"marg" wrote in message
om...
Hi there. I live in the Northeast, and I was just wondering what the
first spring blooms are. Or I should say, what should I plant to have
my gardening bursting in color early on in the spring? I live in zones
5-6
thank you for any help you can offer.
marg