Old 29-01-2003, 05:52 PM
VoySager

Default First Spring blooms

Marg wrote:

I live in the Northeast, and I was just wondering what the
first spring blooms are. Or I should say, what should I plant to have
my gardening bursting in color early on in the spring? I live in zones
5-6

In the southern part of zone 6b, the winter jasmine, Jasminum nudiflorum, will
bloom in *mild* winters in January and February (haven't heard a peep from it
yet *this* winter!), though it's not a "bursting in color" plant, more a
sporadic splash that's nevertheless welcome against the unrelenting grey.

It's a nice plant to grow cascading over a wall in a sunny sheltered spot,
though it can tend to be a bit messy and become rampantly disorganized, and
needs a bit of selective pruning in late spring to keep it somewhat neat.

http://www.systbot.gu.se/staff/evawa...udiflorum.html

Bill