Old 19-05-2003, 06:20 AM
MartyWeiser

Default [IBC] root pruning and one sided growth

Steve,

You may have cut some critical roots that were feeding the side that is
doing poorly. You may also have issues of either water perching or poor
wetting between the old muddy/clayey soil and the newer bonsai soil. For
perching/wetting problems it will be necessary to make sure the soil is
soaked very well when you water (water once, twice, three times a few
minutes apart) and that is it allowed to dry somewhat before you water again
(a chopstick in the soil - the muddy part) can be used to check the moisture
level. The soaking will help solve the problem of a dry center mass while
waiting to water will help solve the problem of a soggy center mass.

When I report and find mud/clay I generally wash the roots to get rid of it
since how it reacts to water will be very different than bonsai soil (hard
to wet and slow to dry). This is risky, but with elms and maples it is not
too dangerous and can be very successful with treatment good after care - do
it as the buds swell, don't cut off many roots, protect from strong sun and
wind, don't over water. In general, you will need to remove all of the
mud/clay soil at some point since it will cause root rot eventually in a
bonsai pot (I remember articles in Bonsai Today about Japanese trees where
it was 20+ years after collection). Depending upon the species, the health
of the tree, the state of the root system, and your level of experience
washing may be the best technique, or you may need to carefully pick out the
old soil with a chopstick.

Marty

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++