Old 19-02-2003, 02:51 AM
Pete in the Colorado Mtns

Default algae all over

Well, not necessarily -

I shut off the UVG in my 55g about 3-4 months ago. I had 4 risers on
it, 2 are now capped, and the other two are still there. I'll be
capping them once I get around to acquiring a couple corks or plugs. So
far no problems at all. The UGF had been in the tank running for around
2 years. I've got about 3-4" of substrate on top of it. I shut down an
external Whisper filter at the same time.

The new filtration is an Eheim 2026.

YMMV -
pete

Iain Miller wrote:
"william kossack" wrote in message

I have a powerhead with an underground filter along with a penguin 330

Growing plants with a UGF is never easy - Oxygen rich water flowing over
their roots, most don't like it much.

You could think about using some small pots to get around this or ditching
the UGF - don't just turn this off though - all kinds of bad things an
happen! You'd need to pretty much tear the tank down, clean it out & start
again.

pete

"It is unwise to insult a doughnut be refusing to eat it."