Old 30-01-2003, 05:48 PM
paghat

Default Comments on shade perennials

In article ,
(MLEBLANCA) wrote:

In article ,
(paghat) writes:

here are a few things I'd plant
all over the place that don't live in zone 8, such as terrestrial orchids,

Paghat
Have you tried Bletilla striata?
It does very well here in NorCal zone 8
pink-purple and white
Emilie

I just looked at the page for it at Kemper Center website, & it looks
gorgeous & will even naturalize. I remember these were offered by a grower
at the Rhododendron Species Foundation (who also sold trilliums) but I
knew nothing about them & got too focused on shrubs to pay close attention
to anything else -- they stick in mind though because that vendor sold off
his entire stock in about ten minutes & I once it was too late I had a
sneaking suspicion I should've paid closer attention. I'd never looked
them up until just now to see if they'd fit my shade garden schemes, &
they sure would. So definitely something I'll get now that it has been
brought to my attention. Thanks!

-paghat

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
See the Garden of Paghat the Ratgirl: