Old 30-01-2003, 08:36 PM
SugarChile

Default First Spring blooms

"N.S.D" wrote in message

chionodoxa (glory of the snow) - another tiny bulb, less conspicuous
than crocus but the flowers last much longer (3 weeks at least)
and aren't ruined by rain nor eaten by rodents. Also spread nicely.
Come in lavender-blue, pink, white, and blue-with-white-eye (my
favorite.)

I have to differ with you on this one. I've got large drifts of them,
started from just a few bulbs years ago. In winters when we have persistent
snow cover, not that often around here, the voles eat the chionodoxa bulbs.
I know it's voles from the characteristic tunnels they build, on the surface
of the grass when it's snow covered. When the ground is clear, the
neighborhood cats keep the voles in check.

One year when we had deep snow all winter, I lost almost all of my
chionodoxa. They re-established themselves from the few seedling bulbs the
voles missed, and are now back in full force. They make nice cut flowers,
perfect for a small vase, and they are beautiful and carefree. The foliage
after bloom fades faster than that of crocuses, for those of you who care
about that.

Sue

Zone 6, Southcentral PA