Old 23-02-2003, 11:01 AM
LeighMo

Default Does pH matter?

My question is, does pH matter? The water here has a naturally high pH,
but if i try and use pH-down (for the fishes) it just goes back up again
in a matter of days. I dont quite know why, but are there any plants
which dislike a high pH?

I wouldn't worry about the pH. Contrary to popular belief, plants like hard
water (which generally comes with a high pH).

All the plants seem to be doing OK except for some long and dwarf
pongol, do these plants need special treatment?

Yes, they need to be dry. g I believe "pongols" are bog plants, not
aquarium plants. No matter what you do, they die if you submerge them all the
time. Put them in a terrarium or paludarium, but not in an aquarium.

Unfortunately, a lot of pet shops are in the habit of selling bog plants as
true aquatics. Sometimes they tell customers they are "annuals" that are
supposed to die after a few weeks or months, and be replaced. :-P Do your
research before you buy.

Leigh