Old 26-02-2003, 12:26 AM
Iain Miller

Default CO2/PH/KH Relationship

"Frank Mamone" wrote in message
.. .
1) Will filtering with peat help the plants?

2) Will the peat affect Co2 calculations using the PH/KH? I know

phosphates
will.

Depends what you mean by peat filtering. I prepare the water for my tanks
through a peat filtering rig I built - makes me about 50USG at a time - I
use ordinary garden peat. What I found wast that after the initial filtering
there was massive (100-120ppm) amounts of CO2 in the water which then
disperses over time as you'd expect.

Therefore what I do is measure the KH as its working and when that comes
down to where I want it (about 5 DKh) then I stop the thing and then just
circulate the water till the initial blast of CO2 has worn off.. WHat I then
find is that the relationship between KH/PH & CO2 levels seems to work
perfectly well. i.e. the Ph has beeen reduced along side the Kh by a
predictable amount.

When the water is in my tank the PH is then reduced further via CO2
injection - the KH is stable.

If you were referring to using Aquarium peat in your filter then I have
never used it so can't help - although I would think the effects would be
similar though maybe less dramatic.

rgds

I.