Old 01-03-2003, 12:21 AM
linda mar

Default effort in clearing up hazy water... will this do?

"Robert Flory" wrote in message
.com...
Carbon would take out the yellow, you probably have a bacterial or algal
bloom of some sort. Long term you need to find the coot cause, short term

is there a way to tell the difference between algal or bacterial bloom?

flocculent will help. I screwed up a while back and ended up with green
water. I doubled the filter pads (basically like thick scouring pads,
nothing fancy. I don't much like chemicals, but came across Acurel F (at

Petco..bite my tongue). It works wonders. It is supposed to be all
natural, is slightly acidic, and looks like a black water extract. It

will
turn the water yellow brown if you use too much.

ok...

My 55 was clear enough to see from one end to another in a couple of

hours.
I rinsed my filters and got gobs of goop. Unfortunately clearing the
problems wasn't as easy, but after a week of reduced feedings things are
remaining clear. Now I use it when every I stir things up.

what kind of filter do you use? I doubled up my sponge block on the
Aquaclear, and it take out incredible amount of goop, but obviously it's not
fine enough.

Years ago I had a 12" pleco and a slew of other fish in a 55 gallon tank.
The Pleco could generate enough crap, literally and figuratively, to make

mess of the place in a day. The fact that I was feeding them large

amounts
of live daphnia didn't help either. I had the same problem of removing

more
water than I wanted. I dealt with it by stirring the gravel, waiting an
hour then vac-ing everything that settled out on the surface.

I'm pretty careful about overfeeding (only few flakes, if any, make it down
to the bottom.. and they get eaten up later by the grazing danios).. but I
will reduce food a bit more and see if that helps..

thanks,
linda