Old 31-01-2003, 01:32 PM
Dwight Sipler

Default Tomato Recommendations for 2003 :)

Pat Brothers wrote:

.... I ... do not know
how to add the url to posts. I will figure it out sometime. It is on my
list of things to learn. Sorta low on the list. If you post an answer
telling me how to do it I will forget. Sorry again. Unless it is really
really easy....

*I* think it's easy, but then I've been working on computers for 50
years now. I even got my wife to learn how to do it. So I'll tell you
how and you can decide for yourself whether to forget it or not. (PS:
this works in Windows: I don't use Macs.)

(1) bring up website with your browser.

(2) at the top of the browser there is a window showing the URL. Click
on the window and the URL should be highlighted. If it doesn't become
highlighted, you can double click on it to highlight it.

(3) ctrl-C will copy whatever you have highlighted (the URL) into the
clipboard. Edit|Copy will do the same thing.

(4) whatever you put in the clipboard will stay there until you put
something else in the clipboard or reboot, so you can, at your leisure,
write a message. When you get to the part where you want to insert the
URL, ctrl-V (or Edit|Paste) will insert whatever is in the clipboard.
That's it.

Note that this cut-and-paste works with all sorts of other things such
as word processors and even some image editing programs. Try it. You
can't physically break anything by trying (just remember that if you
really screw something up, you can close it without saving your changes.
Also remember to back things up frequently, particularly the important
stuff.)

To summarize:

Ctrl-C copy (leaves selected text in place)
Ctrl-X cut (removes selected text)
Ctrl-V paste (inserts clipboard contents)

Since the URL is just a bunch of characters, you can always just type it
in. However, the cut-and-paste avoids typographical errors, particularly
on long involved URLs. It also includes the "http://" header, which
makes the URL into a link which you can just click on to bring up the
website.