Old 31-01-2003, 04:36 PM
SugarChile

Default Comments on shade perennials

"animaux" wrote in message
Heuchera is a plant I can't keep looking good. Maybe if I went back to

the
species instead of the more burgundy foliage, newer varieties. Maybe try

Lady's
Mantle this year. 'Purple Palace' sits there begging to be transported to

the
north!

Purple Palace is not that easy to please here in the north, either. I've
moved my purple leafed ones around a good bit, trying to find a spot they
like. They like shade, especially from the afternoon sun, but if it's too
shady they don't color up well. They are also fussy about moisture.

I've had a good experience with "Eco improved", green leaves, sort of, with
cool colors in the veining. It makes itself at home, and even looks pretty
good throughout the winter. It has a presence.

Lady's mantle is another winner, for me. I love the way the leaves hold
raindrops. It does aestivate in a hot, dry summer; I trim it back and wait
for fresh new foliage.

cheers,
Sue

Zone 6, Southcentral PA