Old 19-05-2003, 08:44 AM
Henriette Kress

Default Mint plants

craignw wrote:

Are mint plants edible. What parts, and can it be used raw? I have a
couple plants and I would like to use them.

There's mints and mints. Most are edible... you use leaf and/or flowering tops,
because it's lots of work to wash roots, and the stems get thick and stringy.
Yes, you can use the lot raw.

If what you have is peppermint, spearmint, applemint or that ilk (Mentha sp.)
then make a tea, put it into your yogurt dressing, add a bit to your chocolate
cake decoration ... for ideas, try
http://www.ibiblio.org/herbmed/faqs/culi-2-9-mint.html

If what you have is catnip, catmint, or that sort (Nepeta sp.), make a tea -
they're relaxing, calming, remove mild cramps, but they're not all that tasty.

If what you have is one or several of the mountain mints (Pycnanthemum sp.) -
yum, they're as tasty as peppermint, with just a hint of sweetness in there.

I'm sure I've missed some, but shrug.

Henriette

--
Henriette Kress Helsinki, Finland