Old 31-01-2003, 08:00 PM
John Doe

Default Houseplant problems...

What would you mix into the soil to make it drain better? Maybe I need a
bigger pot too.

"Iris Cohen" wrote in message
My plants seem to have this fungus growing on the top of the soil. It
appears as a white powder in splotches around the soil.

White powder on top of the soil is more likely to be excess salts. Either

way,
it is a sign of poor drainage. You need a more open soil mix.

I am also having problems with gnats, that I think hatched in the soil,

and
are now flying all around the apartment.

Same cause, soggy, poorly drained soil.

Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
"The trouble with people is not that they don't know but that they know so

much
that ain't so."
Josh Billings (Henry Wheeler Shaw), 1818-1885