Old 31-01-2003, 09:39 PM
harrison

Default pruning questions

Go find an ax, sharpen it and hide near the Russian sage. When it's not
looking, attack! Seriously, Russian sage is a wonderful shade of blue, but
it grows all over. I started using a cage on mine a few years back and have
resigned myself to spring pruning. Otherwise, it wisll sprawl horizontally
instead of growing upright. Even with the cage, I still have to prune. It's
a lot of work, but the color is worth the effort. I do have it isolated
where it won't sow itself amongst other flowers. As for coreopsis, that too
is a spreading plant. I got cross with a group once and pitchforked it up
and in a fit of pique flung it where I wanted it without even loosening the
soil. (I'm normally not that abusive with my plants, but I did not expect
this bunch to fight being uprooted.) The entire clump survived nicely. If I
were just starting it, I think I'd cage it underground--like bamboo--but
even then it self-sows. Because the many varieties look good in bloom, I
have several clumps in my big perennial bed and simply pull up what I don't
want. If you shear it after it blooms, it may bloom twice in a season. Good
luck! And watch out for that Russian sage! Eugenia, zone 6, two towns west
of Boston
"rosemarie face" wrote in message
I know it's early to ask .... but here I go . I planted a few Coreopsis
and Russian Sage last year . Do I have to cut them back in spring? If so
, how much ?
Thanks ! Dreaming of spring !
Rosie z5