Old 01-02-2003, 03:29 PM
MC

Default Advice Re Pruning Broken Tulip Tree

Thanks - Sounds like the way to go.

- MCC

"Tsu Dho Nimh" wrote in message
"MC" wrote:

Last summer the tree grew with it's usual vigor, and it also put out lots

of
flowers. When the leaves fell in the fall it revealed that there are

many
new vertical growing branches. A couple are growning off the main trunk
near the break,

Here's what I'm wondering - I would like the tree to grow tall. Would it

be
best to prune back all but one or two of these vertical growing branches

encourage upward growth?

Prune out ALL of them except ONE ... leave the sturdier one of
the two near the break as the new leader.

For the next several years you will have to keep pruning out any
upstart that tries to take over (preferably as soon as you see
it), but after the tree's new leader gets established, the
tendency to send out shoots skyward will decrease.

Tsu

--
To doubt everything or to believe everything
are two equally convenient solutions; both