Old 01-02-2003, 04:24 PM
J&L Morris

Default Spruce Tree Question

I fell a grove of poplar trees in my front yard in the spring of 1999. I
had the stumps ground. I then deep tilled and bought in a guy with a tree
spade. I had him move about 22 Spruce trees (all approximately 10 ft high)
to replace the poplars. I trimmed off the lower branches up to about 1 foot
off the ground to allow clearance for tilling around. I drive in fertilizer
stakes every year...They are doing fine to this day, but have I two
questions.
1) Last year we had somewhat of a drought. ....they show absolutely no
signs of turning brown (I kept them well watered during the drought) but,
they produced MANY pinecones.... My brother tells me a tree will do this if
it is 'Stressed" and is a natural way to preserve its species....is this
true?

2) I literally want these trees to "Jump" (grow fast) because I want my
privacy. I presently till around the trees. Should I till around the trees
or put down sod ?...Which will make them grow faster?...Or maybe this has
nothing to do with the speed the trees grow.... any thoughts?...Thanks in
advance for any replies..... Jim/ Saskatchewan Canada