Old 19-05-2003, 10:57 AM

Default RCDs Availability, Price, and Use

Rick McGreal wrote:
"Dave Liquorice" wrote in
ill.network:

On Sun, 18 May 2003 15:06:57 +0100, John Towill wrote:

A word of warning, if you are using an electrical appliance on a
long lead plug the RCD into the end of the extension lead.

ARGH! NO!!

This is just plain wrong and dangerous in that you *think* you have
RCD protection but you haven't. If you damage that extension cable you
have *no* RCD protection. See you at St Peters Gates...

Don't breakers go in the wall socket and the extension goes into that?

Thats what I have been doing with my mower and stereo....

If you have no other RCD protection then that's a way to do it but if
you have a recent electrical installation it may well be that all your
sockets (or at least the downstairs ones) are RCD protected anyway so
you're wasting your time (and money!) adding a plug in one as well.

--
Chris Green )