Old 02-02-2003, 06:10 AM
Thalocean2

Default a short garden related rant.........

You're not alone. We all feel the loss when people hack-up beautiful old trees
and bushes to try and suit their taste. We have an over abundance of yuppy,
cookie-cutter yards where I live.

There were three, huge, stately, old blue spruces in my grandparents front
lawn. I remember playing under them when I was a kid, getting my feet poked by
the needles when I was barefoot. My grandfather used to tell us how he'd
planted each tree when each of his daughters was born.

When my grandfather died in the late 80's the first thing my grandmother did
was hire a guy to cut all the trees in her front yard down. She hated them.
Her idea of a nice yard was tiny, manicured, flowering bushes planted in a
single row around the entire edge of the house. I guess there's no accounting
for taste.

On occasion I see someone design and build around big old trees. It's usually
the city and large business's that do it here. I guess they don't want the bad
press that comes from cutting them down.

Laura B.