Old 19-05-2003, 12:01 PM
@ttilla the pun

Default Flanders Poppys

"Mike" wrote in message
In article , M C C
writes
On Sun, 18 May 2003 22:36:33 +0100, Mike
wrote:

In article , M C C
writes

But the seeds must have already been lying there, just waiting
for the right conditions in which to germinate.

but how long could they have been waiting?

Years sometimes, Mike!

And the seeds must have
come from parent plants so I think you'd be pretty safe in assuming

that
poppies were fairly common in the corn and wheat fields.

but how long before?

For as long as those fields had been farmed, I would say.

Papaver Rhoeas,Corn Poppy/Field Poppy/Flanders Poppy,grows in fields

arable land on roadsides especially after soil disturbance,likes chalky
soils or loam,in warm position,
IN FLANDERS FIELDS THE POPPY'S GROW
BETWEEN THE CROSSES ROW ON ROW
THAT MARK OUR PLACE & IN THE SKY