Old 07-02-2003, 10:23 PM
Eric Schreiber

Default Taking the leap - lighting retrofit

tose (LeighMo) wrote:

the CO2 level has gone up a bit (from 2.8 to 6.2 ppm)

Is there any way you can reduce the turbulence? That's not much CO2.

Been wondering that myself. The basic design of the Eclipse hood runs
the outflow of the filter at the surface of the tank, which is where
the turbulence comes from. It may be possible to put a short extension
on and run that return flow into the middle depths of the tank.

My DIY CO2 hasn't been playing at all nice this week. Not sure why,
but I've got no production on the mixes I made this week. It looks
like I'll have to mix up two new bottles tonight. Makes me want to get
a CO2 tank instead.

I should note that despite my apparent problems with them, I really
like the Eclipse hoods - I have an Eclipse Two on my 20 gallon, and an
Eclipse System Three tank. For an all-in-one solution, they're very
nice. It's just that out of the box they're not geared towards planted
tank setups. And let's face it, I'm enjoying all this fussing with
gadgets.

Leaf Zone won't be adequate when you go up to nearly 3 wpg. It's
only iron and potassium. Get Tropica Mastergrow or Seachem Flourish.

I had planned on using Flourish at first, until I saw the "refrigerate
after opening" instructions. No problem with that, it just was an
added step so I bought the Leaf Zone instead.

--
www.ericschreiber.com