Old 16-02-2003, 11:51 AM
LeighMo

Default UV sterilizers: substitute for initial quarantine?

Thanks. I know you had indicated that you use one. Do you have it running
still ?

Yes. Mainly because I'm too lazy to remove it. :-)

I am thinking about taking it out, since it's one more thing to clean/maintain.
And I'm reaching the end of the recommended life of the bulb.

Have you seen the book by P.R. Escobal, called Aquatic Systems Engineering?
It has a couple of chapters on the use of UV sterilizers, and the required
"zap" doses for different organisms.

Haven't read the book, but I've heard that ich is one of the most difficult
organisms to kill. OTOH, they don't breed as fast as bacteria, so maybe flow
rate counts more than dose, in some cases?

Leigh