Old 16-02-2003, 03:34 PM
LeighMo

Default UV sterilizers: substitute for initial quarantine?

The table does not list ick specifically, though it lists protozoa, which is
what (I think) ick would be. (Anyone know for sure?)

Yes, ich is a protozoan.

Since I do not have a hospital tank set up, and do not really want to get
one going, I thought this might be an alternative to quarantining. Sounds
like you have not had an ick outbreak since installing yours.. That is
hopeful.

I haven't had any problems with ich since the UV sterilizer was installed. It
was great, especially when first stocking the tank. I could add in a few new
fish each week, gradually buidling up the stock...which would be a real pain if
I had to worry about ich.

BTW, how much maintenance is involved? Maybe it would just be easier for me
to set up a hospital tank..

Not much, really. The main pain is the powerhead that runs it. I have a
sponge prefilter on it that needs to be cleaned every week, and I take it apart
and clean the impeller assembly maybe every other week.

Algae grows in the hoses, so they need to be cleaned every once in awhile.

The sterilizer itself...that really depends on which model you buy. With some,
you have to clean the sleeve over the bulb. Others have a device built in that
lets you clean the sleeve without taking the unit off the tank. I have a
Custom Sealife; they use a material that supposedly never needs cleaning.

The bulb itself needs to be replaced, every six months to a year, depending on
what kind you get.

Leigh