Old 20-02-2003, 03:44 AM
LeighMo

Default Green stringy algae and what to do about it

I did some testing for the first time in a long time last night. As you
(plural) suspected, My Nitrates and Phosphates were high - Nitrates = 22 ppm
and PO4 1+ ppm. I do weekly water changes of 25-30%.

That's not so bad. Remember, your plants need some nitrate and phosphate in
the water.

However, I would expect nitrate to be under 20ppm if you're changing 30% a
week. Is your tank heavily stocked? Or maybe there's nitate in the tapwater?

I wouldn't use chemical removers. And I wouldn't worry about that level of
phosphate. A lot of people blame phosphate for algae problems, but I have 40
ppm of phosphate in my tapwater, and no algae problems, in planted or unplanted
tanks.

I have 4x40 watt flourescents on my 55 gal tank and I inject CO2 (if that
matters).

What are your CO2 levels? Do you know your pH and KH?

Leigh