Old 19-05-2003, 01:08 PM
Aaron Baugher

Default Mantis tiller

zxcvbob writes:

It can go about a foot deep if you go over it a couple of times. If
you can get it started. I'm trying to decide whether to order a new
carburator for mine, or just throw it away. Seriously; throw it
away.

Sounds familiar. Mine started and ran fine the first year, but then I
didn't winterize it properly, and it got gummed up with bad gas the
next spring. Completely my fault, of course. I tinkered with it a
little, got nowhere, and ended up just storing it for a few years.

This year I decided to get it running. I replaced the fuel filter,
put in good new gas with the proper oil mix (Mantis brand oil, even),
completely dismantled and cleaned the carb (it had deposits from bad
gas in the bottom), and cleaned the spark plug. Two-stroke engines
aren't very complicated; so that's really everything that can be done.
It starts and idles poorly, and then dies as soon as I accelerate.
Fiddling with the mixture adjustment needles doesn't seem to help.

The only thing I haven't replaced yet is the bubble, which cracked and
fell apart after a few years. Maybe that's keeping it from getting
enough gas somehow. (Whoever invented the Bubble should be shot, by
the way.)

Can anyone tell me which adjustment needle is idle and which is
high-throttle? Or do those needles perform a different function on
this carb? I don't seem to have my owner's manual anymore.

Anyway, if you can keep it running, it does a very nice job of tilling
clean soil. Tall grass and weeds wind up badly, so mow those off
close to the ground and rake them away, if possible.

--
Aaron