Old 19-05-2003, 03:08 PM
Steve Wolfinger

Default [IBC] root pruning and one sided growth

thanks guys.... i think now it is probably a result of old matted soil
rather than the pruning itself. i used the "pie sectioning" rather than
removing soil for two reasons...it was rootbound in the pot....and i was
afraid of pulling it apart for doing too much damage as there was so much
mud/clay.. and i did this repotting in my girlfriends bathtub :c).... i
didnt think it would be in such a mess...(i was wrong... she later had to
have someone come over and unclog the drain) so i quickly closed the
bathroom door and did a cursory repotting. at any rate.... im gonna take it
out of its pot... and give the muddy mess a good bucket soaking... and
gentle hosing. the tree has been extremely vigorous this spring. so im
thinking it should be ok. I think the tree had been feeding mainly off the
roots i pulled out of the ground and cut off when i picked it up off the
nursery floor.
and .... with that old soil holding water this summer... and the bonsai
soil around it... if i dont do something while it is relatively early in
the season.. i might end up with sudden tree death syndrome.

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++