Old 19-05-2003, 05:32 PM
Stephen M. Henning

Default Mulch question

Mvkehoe wrote:

I know that fresh wood shavings or chips deplete nitrogen from the soil. But
how fresh is fresh? Some limbs were cut up and chipped near us in February so
enquiring minds would like to know! Many thanks in advance,
Vonnie

It is not the freshness, it is the decomposition that depletes nitrogen
from the soil. So the chipped wood will depelete nitrogen when it
decomposes. They is why not only do chips that don't decompose last
longer but have less deleterious effect on soil nutrients. On the other
hand, the decomposition adds humous to the soil which is a big plus. My
advice, use wood chips and add a balanced fertilizer when it starts to
decompose. Actually the nitrogen will speed up the decomposition so
apply the fertilizer to the soil, not the mulch.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
http://www.users.fast.net/~shenning/rhody.html