Old 19-05-2003, 05:44 PM
Timothy

Default I screwed up half my lawn early last fall

On Mon, 19 May 2003 04:08:58 +0000, Tim Fischer wrote:

"Timothy" wrote in message
news
2 Never use a hosse end sprayer to apply chemicals/ fertilizer.
The water pressure in the hose varies and the amount of chemical/
fertilizer applied will vary also. Furthermore, it's quite possible
that you could contaminate your own water supply via the hose end
sprayer. As the water pressure varies, it can syphon the chemicals
back into the hose and into your house/well. If you must use a hose
end sprayer, use a check valve with it. Here's some more reading on
the subject:

I don't know where you live, but where I live backfeed preventers are
required on all outdoor sillcocks. Also, it would take quite a siphon to
get chemical through a few hundred feet of hose back into your indoor
plumbing system...

It is VERY tedious to apply something like Weed-B-Gone with anything but a
hose-end sprayer, on all but the smallest lots...

It's very possible that they have laws about the backflow preventers here.
I'm not sure of that though. If it was such a streach to siphon chemicals
that distance... then why the requirements on all out door sillcocks?

I find it far easier to apply chemicals in a broadcast spreader. You get
very consistant application rates with a spreader than you do with a hose
end. The hose end sprayers are calibrated to 60 psi ( average street
pressure ), but have the water department come and test your pressure and
you'll find that it's not consistant. The water pressure with vary normaly
and it will vary even greater when people are in the house doing dishes,
flushing tolites and other wise using the system.

Here's what the epa and others have on the subject.
http://www.epa.gov/safewater/tcr/pdf/ccrwhite.pdf
http://www.gov.ca./enla/rmed/p2/chap8.pdf
http://www.cityofbellevue.org/page.asp?view=2053

--