Old 19-05-2003, 05:56 PM
Iain Miller

Default Co2 and how to keep stable pH?

"Rodman" wrote in message
Ok. That is good news. I wonder why people keep telling me that my pH

will
swing around when putting in CO2. They keep saying I will have to

stabilize
it...

But if what you are saying is true, then I won't have to worry about it

any
longer. Good news for me.

As others have said a small/slow PH swing won't hurt your fish. A couple of
things to consider though.

The Hagen units will run for 2-3 weeks - I would start one and then wait
7-10 days before you start the other. That way you will need to change one
every week or so and I think you will get a more stable level of CO2/ph in
the tank

Secondly the Ph you get to will be a product of 3 things

a) The Kh of your water
b) The amount of CO2 you put in
c) The amount of CO2 that is dispersed by surface movement/airstones etc. If
you are finding you can't get enough CO2 to stay in the tank its probably
because you have too much surface moevemnt so try reducing this a bit before
you go adding a third canister....

hope that helps

I.