Old 19-05-2003, 08:32 PM
SugarChile

Default grass clipping mulch

If you have not treated your lawn with herbicides, the clippings make great
mulch for vegetable gardens. The trick is to add them in thin layers,
and/or spread them somewhere and let them dry out first. If you pile the
clippings up while still moist, they will mat and mold and not let air and
water through. Added in layers and allowed to dry out, they will work well
to keep down weeds and help hold moisture in the garden.

Cheers,
Sue, enjoying the first sunny day so far in May

Zone 6, Southcentral PA

"Dave Allyn (Dave Allyn)" wrote in message
I waited way too long to mow my backyard, and as a result, I have alot
of clippings... can these be used to mulch around my tomatos and
peppers, cuces, etc?? or am I asking for disaster? I guess the
clippings would provide good organic matter when they get tilled
under, but will they let enough water past into the soil?? will there
be any other problems I need to look out for??

thanks for the input!!

email: daveallyn at bwsys dot net
please respond in this NG so others
can share your wisdom as well!