Old 19-05-2003, 08:56 PM
Theo

Default [IBC] root pruning and one sided growth

Nothing is the like as using your fingers pinch a little soil and feel how it shreds
between the two fingers it is you get very quickly used to its drying qualities if soggy
or not and how many hours can still stay without watering too
our touch eyes and judgement are better than a computer le's learn to use and trust it
Theo

Helena Handbasket wrote:

Steve,

You may have cut some critical roots that were feeding the side that is
doing poorly. You may also have issues of either water perching or poor
wetting between the old muddy/clayey soil and the newer bonsai soil. For
perching/wetting problems it will be necessary to make sure the soil is
soaked very well when you water (water once, twice, three times a few
minutes apart) and that is it allowed to dry somewhat before you water again
(a chopstick in the soil - the muddy part) can be used to check the moisture
level. The soaking will help solve the problem of a dry center mass while
waiting to water will help solve the problem of a soggy center mass.

snip

This is one question I have in reference to the Persiano pick. (Chopsticks in the soil)
It's probably obvious to everyone else but it has me wondering.... Is the chopstick to be
left in the soil, you check it and if it's dry, you need to water.. OR, do you only put
the chopstick in the soil for a few minutes to see if the chopstick is damp. I've been
leaving it in the soil and then started to wonder if this was not the way to do it. A
little clarification would really help!

Thanks,

--

Helena's Sim Estates
http://www.simbella.com/helena/

How can You put trust in me if I do not trust in Me?
Theo
http://www.byjoke.com/