Old 20-05-2003, 12:32 AM
Ted Byers

Default Good perrenial plants for northern exposure?

My brother-on-law asked me about what perrenials would be suitable for a
northern exposure. We are in zone 5 (although he is a bit further north,
right on the edge of the great Canadian shield). Just to the north of his
property, the "soil" is just a few inches thick, when it is present at all.
Most of his property is covered with sand, and that to a significant depth.
There is an underground stream that runs through his property and a swamp a
few hundred metres south of his property. On the west side of the house, he
has lots of lilies which generally do very well.

So then, it is fair to say that he has very well drained soil, with no
dearth of water. And the soil near the house has been enriched with organic
matter for the past ten years at least.

The beds to the north of the house get direct sunlight only during the late
afternoon and evening at this time of year.

Because he works insane hours during the summer, he wants perrenials that
require no more care than do his lilies.

any ideas?

Thanks,

Ted