Old 20-05-2003, 09:08 AM
knowbodies

Default Neighbor's dog pees thru fence.

Dan Sullivan wrote:

Hello,

My next door neighbor's dog pees thru the chain link fence and it's
killing my lawn.

What can I can do to stop it?

Is there something I can sprinkle by the fence to keep the dog away?

Anyone have any suggestions?

Others have suggested putting up an electric fence but I think that's a bit
extreme. You could try installing vinyl strips in the fence. The strips
should reflect most of the dog pee back into your neighbours yard. In
addition it will provide you with a bit more privacy. Talk to neighbour
about the problem, they should be willing to split the cost with you.

Running paving stones along the fence that are slightly tilted towards your
neighbour's yard should catch any of the dog pee that still makes it
through the fence. Pressure treated lumber or landscaping ties [1] that are
sufficiently staked into the ground would also work. As an added bonus
you'll never have to use a trimmer along the fence line again.

To fix the dead spots, flood the area with water for a couple of days in a
row to disipate the urine and then reseed the affected areas. In my
experience, killspots smaller than about 8"x8" don't need to be reseeded;
With sufficient watering, they'll grow back just as quickly as reseeding.

-----

[1] If at all possible use arsenic free treated lumber (IIRC, it usually
labelled AAC but ask the lunberyard just to be sure.). Especially if small
kids will around. Little kids will chew on the strangest things.

--
And the beast shall be made legion. Its numbers shall be increased a
thousand thousand fold. The din of a million keyboards like unto a great