Old 20-05-2003, 09:56 AM
David Hare-Scott

Default Strange looking ... plant?

wrote in message
news
Hi all,

I just discovered this strange looking plant/fungi in my garden.

http://www.zip.com.au/~swm/images/weirdshit.jpg

I have no idea what this is and have never seen anything like it
before. Can anyone shed any light?

Thanks in advance,

Gavin

I have had these in my garden (Sydney Australia) recently after the
rains. It would seem that it is some kind of stinkhorn fungus as
another poster mentions - perhaps an Australian one, unless Gavin's
location is a coincidence. The pics on mycology web pages are either
white with a darker head or smooth red/pink with a darker head. This
one with ribs running down a pink shaft seems to be rare as I cannot
find it. Any mycologists out there?

David