Old 20-05-2003, 10:20 AM

Default Strange looking ... plant?

David Hare-Scott wrote:
I have had these in my garden (Sydney Australia) recently after the
rains. It would seem that it is some kind of stinkhorn fungus as
another poster mentions - perhaps an Australian one, unless Gavin's
location is a coincidence. The pics on mycology web pages are either
white with a darker head or smooth red/pink with a darker head. This
one with ribs running down a pink shaft seems to be rare as I cannot
find it. Any mycologists out there?

Hmm. Via google I found this page: http://waynesword.palomar.edu/ww0504.htm

This is a lantern stinkhorn. The page says that it is found in southern California -- I wonder what it is doing in Balmain, Sydney, Australia?

Thanks for your help David,

Gavin