Old 20-05-2003, 01:44 PM

Default Trees: Acer Bloodgood or alternative?

"Justin Hughes" wrote in message
om...
: Hello,
:
: Looking to plant a focal point tree in our garden. Unfortunately the
: proposed position will be in full sun, south facing and be somewhat
: exposed (only 3ft fences across about 50ft of neighbours gardens on
: either side (north-south), and the wind can pick up.
:
: We fancy something with either all year round colour (preferably
: red/purple), or a good variation of colour across the seasons. We have
: been looking at Japanese Acers. I understand most are not sun lovers,
: but have read that Acer Bloodgood could be suitable. Any comments?
:
: I've had suggested American Redbud 'Cercis canadensis Forest Pansy', a
: tree I am not aware of at all. Any info would be great.
:
: Also a local nursery sells "Royal Purple" Smokebush, Cotinus Coggygria
: which have been pruned to be tree like. Anyone know how broad these
: might get, as they look a bit narrow to be a convincing "tree shape".
:
: If Acer Bloodgood would fit, can anyone suggest a cheap source. We
: would be looking for a plant initially at least 1m high. Locally
: (Berkshire) these seem to cost about £120-£160, a bit pricey!.
:
: Thanks,
:
: Justin

Acers, in general do not like exposed sites as they suffer as much from
windburn as anything, but I do not know about your specific choice.