Old 20-05-2003, 02:32 PM
IC_Gardener

Default grass clipping mulch

(Dianna Visek) wrote in message ...
I use clippings green, but don't pile them too thick. Maybe 2" or
less while fluffy. They'll get thinner as they dry and mat down.
I've never had any problems.

Most of my grass clippings go into the compost heap with last year's
leaves. However, every time I mow, I sprinkle grass clippings very
lightly on my very young plants in the garden. Right now, that
includes carrots and beets. These plants are too small to mulch
without damaging the plants, but the grass clippings can land right on
top of them without harm. As they dry, they will work their way to
the ground and form a light mulch. This is enough to shelter the
ground from heavy rains. As the plants grow up, they get heavily
mulched with coarser, partially-composted leaves and grass.

IC Gardener
Iowa City, Iowa
Zone 5A