Old 20-05-2003, 03:20 PM
SlimFlem

Default proper testing for FE

I just want to make sure I understand Iron in the planted tank corretly.
When testing for FE, I should be testing for chelated iron, correct? The
non-chelated form of iron is not as easily used by plants, correct? I have
the Hagen FE test kit that has the liquid and the powder. The powder is
used with the drops when testing for chelated iron. Every since I've had
this tank, I never get a reading for iron. I started PMDD 3 days ago, so I
hope this will bring my iron levels up to .1 ppm. I had been using
SeaChem's Iron supplement before. I also have 100% Florite for a substrate.

Are there any other test kits for iron that might be better than the Hagen
one?

thanks.