Old 20-05-2003, 04:20 PM
Janet Baraclough

Default Spinach and Sweet Corn

The message
from (Steve Harris) contains these words:

In article ,

() wrote:

You can grow other
crops between the sweetcorn plants to make the most of the space

I'm planning to transplant my mussleborough leeks in between the sweet
corn. I'm growing "blue jade" sweet corn,

I've tried variations of "3 sisters" (in Scotland) a couple of times
and as Nick says, it just doesn't work because of the differences
between UK and USA climate and growing season. "Northern", short-season
breeds of sweetcorn tend to be too short to support runnerbeans
adequately, to the detriment of both; and squash need all the sun and
light they can get. Even courgettes don't like any competition for
light/sun, and tend to make more leaf and less flowers.
I have successfully underplanted sweetcorn with low level short-term
catch crops such as lettuce and rocket, which are harvested well before
the sweetcorn starts fruiting, or do I mean seeding.At cob-forming
stage, UK sweetcorn need light, sun, and fresh air circulating; I
reduce the cobs to two per plant to ensure ripening and as they start to
fatten up, drastically reduce the plant's top leaves.I think you'll find
leeks are a hindrance to cob-ripening.

Janet.